Veggie Garden Layout Tips
This is always fun to plan after Christmas when it is cold and the wind is howling and you are going through the season seed catalogs. Important things to bear in mind when choosing a layout are
- Tall plants will shade out shorter plants, so plant the climbing vegetables and taller plants like corn at the North end of your veggie garden
- If your veggie garden is shaded for some of the day plant veggies that can tolerate less light and prefer cooler temperatures in the shady areas like leaf lettuces and spinach
- Have a wind break on the windy side of your veggie garden usually North or West
- Plants should be rotated each year so related families of plants aren't planted in the same location-this keeps pests down and stops nutrients being sapped from the soil.
- Companion planting herbs or other specific veggies alongside your vegetables will help keep pests away.